In this blog, we’re thrilled to present a gluten-free and dairy-free version of this Persian almond sponge cake, spiced with ground cardamom and sweetened with coconut sugar. Perfect for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or Boxing Day, our gluten free meals section ensures you can enjoy this moist and springy cake without any gluten or dairy concerns.
Almond Cake with Cardamom and Pistachio
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 7 Eggs, separated
- ¾ cup Coconut sugar
- 1 tbs Almond extract
- 4½ cups Almond flour
- 2 tsps. Ground cardamom
- 1-2 tbsp Confectioners sugar, for dusting
- 3-4 tbsp finely chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350℉.
- Oil a 9-inch round or square pan and set aside
- Using a stand mixer, whisk egg whites until stiff, and set aside
- In a medium bowl. combine egg yolks and sugar, and whisk to blend. Whisk in the almond extract and oil. Add almond flour and cardamom. Gently stir a third of the whites into the batter, then gently fold in the rest until just mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on a rack. To decorate, dust with confectioners sugar and chopped pistachios.
- If you want to grind your almond flour, start with 3 cups of nuts. Using a large food processor, pulse almonds until very finely ground, stirring once or twice to prevent them from turning into a paste.
Seeking more gluten free meals tailored to your dietary needs? Check out our meal plan. 5 delicious recipes sent to you each week, right for your dosha and the season.