My friend Sarah just told me that she hates summer, and is not looking forward to the upcoming warmer season. How can anyone hate summer? After all what’s not to love about little sun dresses, tanned arms and legs and sunkissed skin. Add to that longer days, picnics and light till 10 pm. How can anyone not love summer?
So, I asked Sarah – why?
Well she said when you have stomach folds, a double chin, and plump arms that keep you from wearing those strappy sundresses – it’s easy to hate summer. Sarah had tried most weight loss programs which are focused around exercise, and dieting.
However – that does not work. An alternate way is what you need and here is a breathing technique that will vanish all those excess pounds. I know – I can see you raising an eyebrow as if to say “breathing will help me lose weight? – Right!”.
Well, give it a try!
The yogic texts say that a practitioner of pranayama or breathing develops a slim body and that is because yoga breathing can fix what expensive exercise equipment and weight-loss workouts can’t.
Deep breathing boosts metabolism which directly leads to weight loss. Some breathing techniques help massage your abdomen resulting in faster burning of your body fat. Deep breathing increases oxidation in your body leading to weight loss. The oxygen intake of the blood increases giving more energy for you to exercise.
Now, let’s have a look at a breathing technique you can easily incorporate into your daily routine.
Kapalabhati or Skull Cleansing Breath is a breathing exercise that is literally translated to “glowing” or “shining” skull. It’s the BEST because it purifies the mind by forcefully ridding all toxins. The breathing itself is a series of forceful exhalations one after the other while never intentionally inhaling. The body will automatically inhale for us – we don’t need to worry about it.
The benefits are:
- Good for weight loss. It’s a cardio workout. 10 minutes of kapalbhati is equal to 1 hour of cardio workout, like running. No kidding! But you have to work up to it just like regular cardio.
- Strengthens the respiratory system. Strengthening the lungs and lung capacity, that means over time, you can do more. It also purifies the nasal passages, and removes blockages in the chest.
- Strengthens and stimulates the digestive system. Remember, “We are what we digest” so we need to digest food properly. This will help with weight loss. It’s hard to lose weight with a sluggish digestive system!
- Stimulates the circulatory system. Gets the blood to all parts of the body by opening channels and promoting circulation, this in turn improves metabolism. That means weight loss!
- Helps to overcome stress. Depression, anxiety and negative emotions cause us to feel sluggish. By removing those blocks, we will feel more energized and ready to do more. More energy = more activity = more weight loss.
- Gives mental clarity, and we all need that! More focus allows us to set up our routines better. We eat better, we sleep better and we move better!
Ready to try it?!
- Do this daily in the morning if you can, before breakfast (2 hours if after a meal. You will get stomach cramps otherwise. Trust me.)
- Start with a count of 20-30, then rest. See how you feel. This is very individual depending on your cardiovascular condition, so take it easy if you haven’t done exercise in a while. Or if that was a piece of cake, then try for 45 seconds or one minute.
- Sit with legs crossed in a lotus-like position or if in a chair, both feet on the ground
- Spine straight, chest open, like a string is going from your bum up through the top of your head and holding you straight
- Bringing your hands to your diaphragm, inhale while ballooning out the belly
- Start! Forcefully exhale, using the diaphragm and count, 1-2-3-4-5 (you will automatically inhale, but focus on the exhale)
- Take a rest when you are tired and repeat 3 times. Even with just 2 minutes of this a day, you will notice the benefits.
If you try this and notice a difference, please share! I know I benefit greatly from it –and if you would like to talk to me about other ways you can lose weight, please set up a complimentary consultation here.